ISO 14001 AND THE ROSS group of COMPANIES
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a non-governmental organization made up of national standards institutes from over 162 countries to become the world’s largest developer/publisher of standards. To date, ISO has developed over 17,500 different global standards which are intended to create solutions that meet both 1) the requirements of business and 2) the broader needs of society.
ISO 14001:2004 is a specific standard that specifies the requirements for an environmental management system (EMS). Implementation of an ISO 14001:2004 compliant EMS enables an organization to develop a policy and objectives which take into account applicable legal requirements, and it applies to those environmental aspects that the organization can control and influence.
The key benefits of a working EMS include:
- improved environmental performance
- reduced liability
- competitive advantage
- improved compliance
- reduced costs
- enhanced associate involvement
- improved public image
- enhanced customer trust
- ability to meet customer requirements
To that end, the Ross companies have developed EMS’ which have been awarded internationally recognized ISO 14001:2004 certifications from an independent, third party ISO Registrar – CCAS Americas, Ltd. In addition, both Ross Environmental Services, Inc. and Ross Incineration Services, Inc. are audited by CCAS Americas, Ltd. every nine months to ensure that they are maintaining their EMS’ in conformance with the ISO 14001:2004 Standard.
ROSS ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES, INC. &
ROSS INCINERATION SERVICES, INC.
ISO 14001 SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLICIES
Our business success and our commitment to protection of human health and the environment are consistent and complimentary goals. We will demonstrate leadership in protection of human health and the environment in our workplace, marketplace and community by adhering to the following guiding principles:
- COMPLIANCE: We will comply with all applicable safety, health and environmental laws and regulations, as well as other pertinent requirements, and will implement programs and procedures to assure compliance.
- PREVENTION: We will employ management systems and procedures to achieve the broader goals of eliminating preventable injuries; preventing adverse environmental and health impacts; reducing wastes and emissions; and promoting pollution prevention through resource conservation, recycling and reuse.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Management and all associates are collectively and individually responsible and accountable for compliance with safety, health and environmental regulations, policies and procedures.
- COMMUNICATION: We will communicate our safety, health and environmental policy, achievements and challenges openly, honestly, clearly and professionally with associates, customers, our community and government agencies.
- CONTINUAL IMPROVEMENT: We will continuously seek opportunities to improve our adherence to these principles, and will periodically review and report progress to our stakeholders.
Our actions will be consistent with this Policy and the Ross companies’ Mission Statement, Vision and Values.